In Vietnam, I bought a motorcycle to keep off my ankle and then rented a room. I ended up staying for 5 weeks. I found an excellent rehab program for my ankle. HEM-ankle rehab. I got videos recorded for Live Dreams Life Coaching and reedited my book Skin Hunger. It's nearly done. Yes! I connected with Linh again from the airbnb. It was great to see a familiar face along the road. I stayed in a cool building with a couple from South Africa, Matt, and Vietnam, Linh 3! And their small dog, Cuzzy. I was on the 21 floor and on the roof was a garden area and temple. On the basement level was a supermarket. It was convienant.
My ankle started getting much improved quickly. I looked for English camps in Taiwan and Malaysia, trying to go their next. I got hired in both places. I flew to Hong Kong on the way to Taipei. I got to spend two days there seeing the cool, international city. It is amazing to cross on a boat in the day and night to see the city. I liked the vibe and mix of west and east cultures. They speak Cantonese.
Next back to Taiwan. June, 2017 now.
I met a lot of great teachers and had a nice roommate, Kimberely, during the training time. Mostly we played games. Then we went off to our respective camps. Sue, South Africa and I were the two teachers at our camp. There was staff Danny and Fanny, Kathy. Sue and I, each had teaching assistants. Kevin was mine and helped greatly for me to interact with the 22 students in my class. We rotated classes so I also taught Sues' class of 21. She had the more beginning students and mine were more advanced. We had an incredible class. The kids were 11-12 years old. We would have a lesson for 30 minutes and then games for 20 minutes. For the closing ceremony, my class put on a skit of a talent contest, I played my guitar and the students chose me to win. It was sweet, but my voice was dying from speaking so much and singing and having a bit of a cold.
Then I had a one day switch to the camp in Malyasia. I managed to come in and ride over with the kids from the Singapore airport. They were quite tired by the time we rolled in at 4am. I got to live in a Villa on a golf resort with some great flatmates. Molly, Dallas, Mason and Gina. We would do a daily unwind of the day and then relax. Molly and I fell into a pattern of swimming and laughing, nearly drowning for at least an hour every night.
We had 8 hours of teaching with 8 students per class. It was interesting to meet the Korean students and learn their English names and personalities and teach them some English. The kids were super sweet and kind. Of course, being away from their homes with all new friends sometimes was a bit stressful. The kids had activity days and then would be wiped out the next day from too much fun or even be a bit sick. They were all able to progress in their levels of English.
I met a great friend, local Malaysian teacher Zu. We ended up having a great time talking and laughing along with Amardee, UK guy. Seriously I have a new lifelong friend. She took us to local restaurants and answered our questions and was a friend. This was very special to me.
I was able to do some day trips to Singapore with Molly where we met up with Dallas and Mason for a great outing. And another quick trip to Kuala Lumpur with new friends Megan and Cassie.
Another incredible thing was the kids heard I was playing worship music and asked if they could come. So many came and we enjoyed being together and having fun and bringing them snacks. It was fun to play my little guitar and sing.
I still have not recovered my voice from the long days of talking and swimming in the evening air and having yet another cold.
The kids have impacted my already good feeling of Korea with another layer of how incredible the people are. We have kept in touch on fb.
No comments:
Post a Comment